The Frenchie Nymph was created by the French and used in competitions with great success. It is a simple Pheasant Tail Nymph Pattern that utilizes few materials, quick to tie, and extremely effective. This makes it a great Guide Fly as we call them. As people watched what the French were using and began to tie and fish this pattern with great success it has quickly garnished its self as one of the most popular Nymph patterns to tie and fish. We love dark colors, which is why we came up with this color combination. An easy material substitution of CDL for the tail rather than Pheasant Tail makes this fly extremely durable.
The pattern is designed with a relatively slim profile to reduce added resistance as the fly quickly sinks into the feeding zone. Because of this it is tied without any legs. You can tie this in the same size with varying weights to change the sink rate and water depths. This is done by over sizing the tungsten bead, using a normal size, and or adding some lead free wire behind the bead for added weight. This will allow you to hit all the different zones.
- Thread: Semperfli Classic Waxed 12/0 Black
- Hook: Moonlit Togatta Premium Competition Barbless ML501 sz10-16
- Bead: Moonlit Slotted Tungsten Matte Black 4.0mm-2.5mm to match hook
- Tail: Black Dyed Pheasant Tail (Substitute CDL)
- Body: Black Dyed Pheasant Tail
- Rib: Semperfli Tying Wire .2mm Dark Purple
- Thorax: Vicuna Dubbing Black Claret